Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth | Page 16 | Vital Football

Match Thread: Lincoln City v Portsmouth

Just watched Hull v Ipswich how refreshing to watch 2 teams going hammer and tongues to win and it ended 3-3 without the stupid nonsense from Pompey today- left a nasty taste in what could have been a really good contest and celebrated L1 at its best - Pompey management could have stopped this but their behaviour looked somewhat suspect too uti

Mousinho has his head far up Oxford’s arse that’s why.

Might be a blessing in disguise. As much as I am desperate to see us in the second tier, we as a club are just not ready for that step.
Taking away the shithousery, Portsmouth controlled the game so much better than us today. Whenever they were on the ball, they had options and seemed to be able to,get in position to win the second balls. Plenty of missed chances to put the game to bed before our inevitable going all out allowed them their two goals.
Don’t get me wrong, we created some excellent openings that on another day May have been put away, and but for Danny’s slip, we may well have taken all the points. It’s just that for me, we are still lacking that little bit extra in terms of composure, ball retention and accuaracy.
Next season, we start with full on Skubala, and hopefully a fully fit squad whatever that may be.
It’s been a thoroughly enjoyable ride these last couple of months and I just hope we can keep the core of this side. Roll on next season 👊💥👏

Disagree with your first point. We have a very young core group of players who all have potential to improve. Because we didn't get promoted we are likely to see 3 or 4 of them move up to the championship with other clubs. I also think it's just as easy (just as difficult!!) to survive in the championship as it is to get promoted from league 1 - which is always a really big ask.

I was just doing some amateur investigation and saw on 1st Feb we had played 29 games had 35 points at 1.21 a game and were positioned 13th. Since then 17 games 39 points at 2.29 ppg. With that form all season we'd have won the league with 105 points. Just shows how good Pompey have been to amass their final tally. PS Happy to have my maths verified by our statistical sleuths!!!

Disagree with your first point. We have a very young core group of players who all have potential to improve. Because we didn't get promoted we are likely to see 3 or 4 of them move up to the championship with other clubs. I also think it's just as easy (just as difficult!!) to survive in the championship as it is to get promoted from league 1 - which is always a really big ask.
really agree with your last line. Getting out of this league (the right way). These opportunities won’t come round every season.

One of the big differences today was the squad size and depth. Even though Portsmouth made several changes they still had a big enough squad of quality players for our level to still look a very good team.
Which also highlighted the financial differences between the clubs. Are squad is what it is due to the tact that we will not put ourselves in financial difficulties so we have to live with that. It also highlights the fact that we have done so well to get as close as we did to the playoffs.
One other thing about Portsmouth is that although they have undoubtedly been the standout team in the division they let themselves down with their spoiling, time-wasting play acting tactics. Could perhaps understand it a little if they needed to win to confirm the title but they didn't. Tactics are dictated by management who virtually all got booked.
Mousinho and his buddies showed a total lack of 'class'. Let's see how they do next season.

really agree with your last line. Getting out of this league (the right way) These opportunities won’t come round every season.
I think both (Championship survival and promotion) are pretty difficult.

This season however was a tiny sliver of an opportunity in reality.

Promotion (the possibility of) in truth been hanging by a thread for weeks and weeks.

We have lost 2 games since Jan 1 and that has proved too much.

If we had beaten Portsmouth

We then had to beat Bolton.

...and then only had a 50/50 chance to beat Peterborough (or Barnsley) at Wembley.

The likelihood of all that happening was pretty small.

The fact we got even close to the start of

having to beat Portsmouth/Bolton/Peterborough in successive weeks was a great effort.

There is no guarantee we will make the play offs next year but we will need to be better placed come January than this time, to have a realistic chance....

Every season will be an opportunity

... if we keep giving ourselves more opportunities then you increase your chances of being successful.

...and there is quite a bit of good football and excitement in the trying and I do expect the succeeding if we keep heading in the right direction.

How many of us wondered in 2019 if we could stay at this level let alone be a top half club.
Well next season will be our 6th consecutive season in League One.
We are also a completely different club now with the new investors on board etc.
I for one am excited about the future and am not looking down but definitely looking up. Definitely think more exciting times ahead of us.

I enjoyed the day. Full house and excitement on the last day, looked a long way off for most of the season.
Not sure if it was because we expected them to line up differently but we looked off it in the first half and couldn't seem to come to terms with the way they moved the ball. Second half gave it a right go though and obviously it can be a game of fine margins.
I didn't have a problem with the way Portsmouth played. They were ultimately trying to get through the game without injuries whilst at the same time retaining the integrity of the league. They slowed the game down as would have been expected and as for the game management stuff I don't think there was much we haven't done at games such as the Reading one. I don't think the ref helped either. The silly obsession with booking off field staff just delayed the game and broke the play up more, and I also thought he seemed to struggle throughout the game in understanding what should be penalised as a foul and what shouldn't.
Portsmouth are the standard bearers of the division. They showed what we have to aspire to and try to replicate. The league may well have more strength in depth next season but we are better placed than we were this time last season.
Pre season is always intriguing as we prepare for changes in personnel. Midfield in particular is likely to need an overhaul. If we had kept all our midfielders fit we may well have made the playoffs but we didn't and you have to think that will be a factor in who we offer contracts to next season. Personally I would really like us to improve the quality of the distribution from the back. Our defenders have been magnificent again this season but they are all out and out stoppers. I have every finger crossed that Montsma can get back to his best but it's going to be really difficult after all his injuries. I would also love us to bring in a defender from somewhere like Fleetwood but it's a long shot and Mitchell would be a terrific long term signing.

I was just doing some amateur investigation and saw on 1st Feb we had played 29 games had 35 points at 1.21 a game and were positioned 13th. Since then 17 games 39 points at 2.29 ppg. With that form all season we'd have won the league with 105 points. Just shows how good Pompey have been to amass their final tally. PS Happy to have my maths verified by our statistical sleuths!!!
I was wondering what the table would look like if you split it into two halves.

One of the big differences today was the squad size and depth. Even though Portsmouth made several changes they still had a big enough squad of quality players for our level to still look a very good team.
Which also highlighted the financial differences between the clubs. Are squad is what it is due to the tact that we will not put ourselves in financial difficulties so we have to live with that. It also highlights the fact that we have done so well to get as close as we did to the playoffs.
Something I’ve been pondering on myself (and after seeing Shrewsbury retained list and the number of players).
I think you can count on the fingers of one hand the number of games we’ve been able to have players sat in the stand (fit ones of course) who could be described as 1st team squad.
I think quality over quantity has been our policy which overall is probably right but there’s a balance

How many of us wondered in 2019 if we could stay at this level let alone be a top half club.
Well next season will be our 6th consecutive season in League One.
We are also a completely different club now with the new investors on board etc.
I for one am excited about the future and am not looking down but definitely looking up. Definitely think more exciting times ahead of us.
I assume they’re injured as didn’t play yesterday but Poole, Scully, Morrell, and Raggett have been some of the best to play for us in recent years and are all in the Pompey squad. Speaks volumes as to some of the budgets in the league.

We’re doing fantastically well with what we’re doing and just need to keep building.

A disappointing result to the end of a fantastic second half of the season and far more excited to see what next season brings than I was coming into this season. What a great coaching team we currently have and can't wait to see this team evolving next term. Hopefully with more luck on the injury front too. UTI!

When you play the better sides in the division, the CM issue that we've had is amplified but ultimately it wasn't just that yesterday, we ran out of a bit of steam and came up against a decent side as well and with House in CM, which I completely understood, you then lose him from up front where Draper struggled physically yesterday.

First half was a non-event really, the majority of Portsmouth's possession was with their three CB's and I can't recall them creating anything full stop up. They were having a little bit of joy in the final 10 minutes of the first half but it never really came to anything. Up until our formation change with ten minutes to go it was pretty much the same in the second half and we unfortunately weren't able to use that to our advantage because they scored within a couple of minutes. A normal league game and we see that out in a comfortable 0-0 and take the point.

Over the course of the game I thought we actually created the better chances - Sorenson's free kick routine and save in the second half, House, O'Connor at the back post - and obviously the penalty. It was only when we started chasing the game that they created anything of any note.

I made it 14 yellows, including their staff, but it wasn't even a dirty game was it. I thought their two wingers and two of their subs had a complete lack of class about them. I'm all for a bit of gamesmanship and shithousery but being so blatant in taunting our players during play was a bit classless IMO - you can be a bad winner. The ref had a mare, how long did he take over carding people or having a word with them? He was better than Portsmouth's players at slowing the game down! Their 'keeper must have been down 'injured' three times. In the eleven minutes of injury time the ball must've been in play for only four of them! Portsmouth's intention was clearly to come and do what they could get away with. Mousinho thought it was a good game, so they must've had some absolutely terrible games this season for that to stand out for him.

The bottom line is though that we lost 2 in, what, 20? Managed to unbelievably reel Stevenage and especially Oxford back in - even Barnsley really and kept the season going to the last day of the season despite where we were after NYD and that in itself is an incredible achievement.

Last edited:
When you play the better sides in the division, the CM issue that we've had is amplified but ultimately it wasn't just that yesterday, we ran out of a bit of steam and came up against a decent side as well and with House in CM, which I completely understood, you then lose him from up front where Draper struggled physically yesterday.

First half was a non-event really, the majority of Portsmouth's possession was with their three CB's and I can't recall them creating anything full stop up. They were having a little bit of joy in the final 10 minutes of the first half but it never really came to anything. Up until our formation change with ten minutes to go it was pretty much the same in the second half and we unfortunately weren't able to use that to our advantage because they scored within a couple of minutes. A normal league game and we see that out in a comfortable 0-0 and take the point.

Over the course of the game I thought we actually created the better chances - Sorenson's free kick routine and save in the second half, House, O'Connor at the back post - and obviously the penalty. It was only when we started chasing the game that they created anything of any note.

I made it 14 yellows, including their staff, but it wasn't even a dirty game was it. I thought their two wingers and two of their subs had a complete lack of class about them. I'm all for a bit of gamesmanship and shithousery but being so blatant in taunting our players during play was a bit classless IMO - you can be a bad winner. The ref had a mare, how long did he take over carding people or having a word with them? He was better than Portsmouth's players at slowing the game down! Their 'keeper must have been down 'injured' three times. In the eleven minutes of injury time the ball must've been in play for only four of them! Portsmouth's intention was clearly to come and do what they could get away with. Mousinho thought it was a good game, so they must've had some absolutely terrible games this season for that to stand out for him.

The bottom line is though that we lost 2 in, what, 20? Managed to unbelievably reel Stevenage and especially Oxford back in - even Barnsley really and kept the season going to the last day of the season despite where we were after NYD and that in itself is an incredible achievement.
Of course the Manager was at Oxford as player coach in latter years. Left to take over Portsmouth after 6 years at Oxford.

Disappointment is a natural feeling when it was in our own hands. As many others had said, big difference between us and Pompey was squad depth, does feel like that will always be the gap between us and League 1 big spenders/Championship sides without even further investment.

Thought it was a beautiful and brilliant moment though when every stood to applaud after Pompey’s second went in. I welled up a little. Despite the disappointment everyone rightly so proud the lads got us to this position. Got a great group and if we can keep most we can continue to upset the odds next season.

City till we die.

Last edited:
Bizarrely for the last three seasons we have significantly improved from January onwards. The January transfer windows have all been really successful - it’s probably fair to say this time round players returning really bolstered the squad.

Prior to that we needed to invest significantly under the last season of Appleton to maintain our status, and Kennedys first season if I recall correctly we hit a slump from October to December.

Have we quite got it right in the summer windows, but then every club across the country will say that at some stage.

Today really illustrated how much we need to improve next season. I thought we were totally outplayed by a Portsmouth team that made 6 changes from their last game and still had a system that was far more efficient and effective than ours.
I couldn't disagree more. All they really did was retain possession - Jensen had hardly anything to save until they scored late on. We had four fabulous opportunities in a short space of time in the second half - the penalty miss, Taylor heads over, House screws wide, and O'Connor blasts wide from what looked like point blank range; on another day, at least two and probably three of those go in, and you have a completely different game. If Mandroiu had scored, I think we would have won.

The standing ovation for Lincoln when Portsmouth scored their second goal tells you everything.

I think both (Championship survival and promotion) are pretty difficult.

This season however was a tiny sliver of an opportunity in reality.

Promotion (the possibility of) in truth been hanging by a thread for weeks and weeks.

We have lost 2 games since Jan 1 and that has proved too much.

If we had beaten Portsmouth

We then had to beat Bolton.

...and then only had a 50/50 chance to beat Peterborough (or Barnsley) at Wembley.

The likelihood of all that happening was pretty small.

The fact we got even close to the start of

having to beat Portsmouth/Bolton/Peterborough in successive weeks was a great effort.

There is no guarantee we will make the play offs next year but we will need to be better placed come January than this time, to have a realistic chance....

Every season will be an opportunity

... if we keep giving ourselves more opportunities then you increase your chances of being successful.

...and there is quite a bit of good football and excitement in the trying and I do expect the succeeding if we keep heading in the right direction.
I don't even know why I'm going to make these next points....probably because it's a fans forum!
Agree with the difficulty of getting past other teams in playofffs.
I still can't get out of my head a 90+4 equaliser for 2-2 by Hoskins at Northampton on Aug14th, and the 90+8 equaliser by Grant at Bristol Rovers for 1-1on Sept 2nd.......... 4 points lost.
As you can see pointless if and buts. However, much more difficult for the players is high pressure and tempo environments and the need for a larger squad.
Michael Skubala made a point about the effort required to be up for every match with some major reshuffles caused in midfield and attack during his tenure.
IMO we would have waltzed into the playoffs with Bishop, Hackett, McGrandles and Hamilton fit for the run in.
What I will add is its been a terrific season and appreciate what the staff and players have put in. Having a bad run of results, makes a good run much sweeter. Also why a last minute equaliser is more joyous in a 1-1 draw than scoring in the first minute for the same result.
Recruit well in the summer and it could be another grand season.

Bizarrely for the last three seasons we have significantly improved from January onwards. The January transfer windows have all been really successful - it’s probably fair to say this time round players returning really bolstered the squad.

Prior to that we needed to invest significantly under the last season of Appleton to maintain our status, and Kennedys first season if I recall correctly we hit a slump from October to December.

Have we quite got it right in the summer windows, but then every club across the country will say that at some stage.

For various reasons, for a number of seasons we seem to have had a problem up front following summer windows which has necessitated a patching up job in January. For most of this time the defence has been fine. As we know under Kennedy emphasis on defence was seen as a virtue and served us well, in terms of consolidation, but was totally uninspiring.
This season we had signed Walker and also had House, but chronic injuries soon undermined our attacking options.
While this season the shortage of strike power was more down to bad luck, I do feel that for a number of years we haven't done particularly well in summer recruitment for striker(s).
They are probably the hardest to get, and although it's never just about one player, having a 20 goal a season man in the building certainly helps. (To state the bleedin' obvious).